Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Finished playing Final Fantasy IV


Finished playing Final Fantasy IV (2011, Square Enix, PlayStation Portable) on 3/8/2016.
Gameplay Hours: ~60

A mysterious man named Golbez is wreaking havoc throughout the land, trying to obtain all the elemental crystals of the world for power. After having his kingdom fallen to the hands of Golbez, Cecil abandons his position as captain of the Red Wings to search for answers. Along the way he teams up with all sorts of people, also victims of Golbez's deeds and together they fight to bring him down.

7.5/10
– I've played different ports of Final Fantasy IV before and this is my second favorite. But although all the sprites were beautifully updated, I've found it odd that the overworld's sprites didn't match the battle ones or even some of the character's menu pictures, but I guess that's just a pet peeve. I love, love, love the fact that this port lets you play with either the original soundtrack or the arranged Nintendo DS one. And of course, let's not forget the updated translation, always a good thing. The post-game Lunar Ruins were really, quite the challenge with powered-up bosses sporting insane strategies that can be quite difficult to figure out. Thankfully the game gives you save points just before those battles, but I don't think I want to experience dungeon rooms like Edge's Trial ever again. Eesh! This port features some slightly cheap, rather short prerendered cutscenes, which I welcome any day over just the sprite ones, with an honorable mention going to the Giant of Babil one.