Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Finished watching Miss Hokusai

Finished watching Miss Hokusai (2015, Production I.G., 90m) on 07/14/2017.

The Great Wave off Kanagawa, the popular painting by Japanese artist Hokusai. But he wasn't the only artist in his family. His equally-talented daughter Katsushika Ōi worked under his shadow while the two shared the same roof with Hokusai's apprentice. But Ōi's relationship with her father isn't the best, and his reluctance to visit his wife and younger daughter of two only makes things a bit more tense as Ōi juggles between the two.

Some might be quick to assume this is a movie from Ghibli studio. I was too... well, I thought I had heard a rumor that it was directed by Miyazaki's son... or something to that effect. Well, turns out it is neither of those things. It's actually Production I.G., whom I will always remember now as the same studio that worked on the Xenogears animation sequences. But there are some visual similarities to a Ghibli production, so maybe that's understandable.
Anyways, Miss Hokusai focuses mainly on the relationship between Hokusai and his two daughters. One of which, Katsushika Ōi is just as talented with a brush as he is. His younger daughter is blind, and is rarely visited by her father who relies on Ōi to keep him up to date on the family as she is the one that visits them often.

7.5/10 - I really liked this one, and at 90mins-long it felt like just the right length. I also liked how mystical it would get sometimes with some of the yokai elements in the movie. It actually reminded me of things like xxxHolic or Mushishi.