Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Finished watching Dragon Ball


Finished watching Dragon Ball (1986, Toei Animation, 153 epi.) on 10/10/2017.

Goku is a young child with unbelieavable strenght and agility who's always lived up in the mountains, away from civilization. Bulma is a feisty, high-tech, city girl on a quest to find the seven legendary Dragon Balls using the Dragon Ball Radar she built. When all seven balls are gathered, the great Shen Lon dragon can be summoned to grant any one wish. And Goku just so happens to have one of them, thus bringing the two characters together for an adventure of a lifetime.

8.5/10 - I've actually never watched Dragon Ball back-to-back. As a kid I only watched a couple of episodes whenever I could as I was always stuck doing homework when it came on TV. Having it finally watched it all properly, I came to realize that watching the show as opposed to reading the manga it's based on can be a bit of a different experience. Y'see, one of the things this show is well-known for is the ridiculous prolonging of scenes by doing things like having characters stare at eachother for unnecesarily long amounts of time or even adding filler episodes or small parts and skits into a scene all for the sake of prolonguing the series' number of episodes. Whereas in the manga the pacing of the story is much quicker than the show, in a good way. That prolonguement of the episodes was a significant factor in my rating of the series. The next one might've been Goku's voice not changing very much with his age, hahah! That kinda bothers me. But maybe not so much. I don't know, maybe I was just used to the western dubs where his voice matures. Other than that it was still an enjoyable show. I'm just really left wondering what it would've felt like if the episodes weren't so long with all that filler content in the way. Well, I guess I might get an inkling when I watch Dragon Ball Z Kai next.