Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Finished watching Crest of the Stars


Finished watching Crest of the Stars (1999, Sunrise, 13 epi) on 1/27/2018.

Jinto was a young lad when the Abh Empire invaded his home planet. On that day, his father traded his position as the president of Martine for a high rank in the Empire. Years passed and now Jinto, as a young count must learn the ways of the Abh by attending one of their schools. Babysitting him through this process is an Abh princess named Lafiel Abriel. But after being picked up by an Abh ship, they come under attack by human Alliance forces.

This series was brought to my attention by a close friend of mine. And I'm very happy he mentioned it to me as I've come to enjoy this series very much. It had a hint of Legend of the Galactic Heroes in terms of political strife, and a hint of Space Battleship Yamato in terms of action and a character-driven plot. I think what I enjoyed most about this was the relationship between Lafiel and Jinto. Some might find Jinto to be too simple of a character. In my opinion however, I think it's that ordinary-Joe characteristic to him that I find appealing. He also seems to be very laid back and kind person which I think plays well into the dynamic between him and Lafiel. Lafiel can be a bit of a mean cat sometimes with her tsundere antics, but Jinto's kindness sort of tames that feistiness in her. I somehow find that comforting to watch. Maybe Jinto is the kind of person I wish I was. Maybe that's why their relationship is the main thing that kept me watching.

7.5/10 - The only two things that really bothered me was the very strange shape of their heads and the almost trivial conversations and monologues of the Abh captains. Almost as if stalling for screen time.