Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Finished watching .hack//sign


Finished watching .hack//sign (2002, Bee Train, 24 episodes) on 7/09/2016.

Tsukasa is the virtual avatar of a teenager playing an online video game called The World. However, as other players in the game come to find out, Tsukasa seems to be online continuously and has abilities that aren't part of the original code of the game which he uses to mess around with other players. A small group of players like Bear, Mimiru, BT and Subaru, among others become interested in catching Tsukasa to understand what his abilities are all about and what their secret is.

This was quite the popular show back then. I remember watching it and being mesmerized by its mysterious and laid back tone and soundtrack. It was almost lulling, in a pleasant way. Years passed and I finally decided to sit down for the whole season, and I gotta say I'm not impressed. It actually left me a bit confused. I should also mention I never played the games so maybe I'm missing something there.

PLOT - The show's plot seems to advance at a sluggish pace and there's a lot of unnecessary talking and not that much action going on. The show also seems to be very stingy when it comes to Tsukasa's exposition. Everything is shown in vague flashbacks that give you as many answers as it does questions.

ARTWORK - The animation and art quality varies randomly throughout the show but for the most part feels kind of rushed. Then again, there isn't much to animate as most of the shots are characters just standing around talking or plotting about Tsukasa. Sometimes their mouths aren't even in the shots.

MUSIC - The soundtrack has beautiful, catchy melodies but the ones with singing have lyrics that make no sense whatsoever. Notably the opening theme, I mean, what does "How come I must know the direction of relieving?" even mean? It doesn't sound right is what it is.

6.5/10 - Meh, this show's alright if you even just watch a small number of episodes out of order like I did back then. Otherwise you're not missing much. Also, what the hell happened to Sora?