Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Finished reading Cardcaptor Sakura


Finished reading Cardcaptor Sakura (1996, Clamp, 50 chapters) on 04/21/2017.

Kinomoto Sakura is an elementary-school student by day and magical card-collecting girl by... well, whenever magical trouble arises. When Sakura opened a dusty, ornamented book she found in her basement, magical Clow cards flew out into the world and began causing chaos and mischief. Guided by the book's guardian, Cerberus (or Kero for short) and a magical wand he bestowed upon her, Sakura vows to return all the Clow Cards back to their book before they cause too much trouble.

7/10 - Uhm... gee. Where do I even start. Alright, look, here's the deal. I watched the show before reading the manga. If you're familiar with both iterations of the franchise then you might know how I might be feeling about the manga. So, what are my thoughts? Well, a little confused. Y'see, even though the anime is the adaptation of the original work, the manga to me felt like I read a rushed adaptation of the anime. The two seem to have some, well, I wouldn't call them major differences, but they're pretty different for sure. I have to say though, I'm glad the anime decided to change a couple of things, specially toning down on - and brace yourself for this one -  the pedophiliac themes that the manga made somewhat blunt. Yeah, that's right! I really was not expecting that out of CLAMP, a group of female mangaka. Why did they do it? Why did their publisher approve it? Obviously they knew that stuff wasn't gonna fly when they adapted the manga into the show. Well, anyways, I don't wanna drag that subject longer than it needs because aside from it, it's a pretty good manga and just like in the show I just loved the whole thing between Sakura and Shyaoran. I feel like that was what kept me reading more than the magical aspect of the story. But, anyways, I think what I got out of the manga is that the anime adaptation has differences that really improved the story, added to the characters and... well, took away the unnecessary stuff. It just really makes me wonder how I would've felt if I had read the manga first.